Hydronic heating is a system that heats a home or other structure using hot water. The water is heated by a water heater or a boiler, then the heated water is distributed through piping to the areas requiring heat. The heating medium is most often tubing in the floor or ceiling or baseboard radiators. These mediums transfer the heat into the living space as needed when the thermostat for that space calls for heat.
The benefits of these systems are many and include, quiet operation, no moving air, high comfort levels, zone specific heating, and are often more economical to operate than some traditional heating systems.
• Virtually silent operation due to the fact that only heated water is circulated throughout the system.
• No moving air means no fans blowers or ductwork .
• High comfort levels are a common experience in these systems ,because the structure and its contents are heated , not just the air .thermostats can often be set a few degrees cooler (than a traditional heating system) and still maintain a similar level of comfort .
• Zone specific heating means only heating individual rooms or “zones” as needed.
• Economy is a result of , not heating and moving air,lower operating temps, more stable heat, and zone heating.
• Economy can also be greatest when a high efficient heat source is used.
• Many water heaters are now rated at up to 98% efficiency.
If your home uses one of these heating systems is is likely very reliable and trouble free. But any mechanical system can fail. Common issues with hydronic heating systems are heat source failures (no heated water) circulator/ pump failures (heated water not moving through the system) and control failures (a thermostat, or relay, transformer, or other electronic failure) or leaks in any part of the system.
Heat source problems can be a result of a failed, thermostat , igniter , or control , combustion issues , or leaks in the heater itself.
Circulators can wear out or leak.
Control issues can be a result of a failed thermostat , transformer ,relay, or . Wiring problems.
There is also the potential for leaks from various parts of the plumbing , manifolds , thermal expansion tanks , valves and fittings.
Any no heat issues with these systems requires an experienced technician to first perform some diagnostics to determine what parts of the system have failed , then repair or replace these components as needed.
Plummer’s Repair Only services has expertise in all of the diagnostics and repairs needed to restore the proper ,efficient , safe operation of your system . If you own a home with hydronic / radiant heat Please don’t hesitate to call us for advice or service .